Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Ear Tubes

Gwen's ear tube surgery was yesterday morning. They told me to just wake her up and bring her just as she was, so I brought Gwen in her PJ's with her blanket and woobie. We got to Augusta ENT at 6:45am and my mom met me there. We were quickly taken back to a pre-op room where I was able to ask Dr. Barfield questions. Apparently, after her follow up, I won't have to worry about using any earplugs for her, even when she's in a pool. That's a relief to not have to worry about all of that. I was also able to talk with the anesthesiologist. He skillfully distracted Gwen with a stuffed animal and gently whisked her away before she was able to get upset.

By the time I went into the waiting room and got comfortable, the surgery was already over. It took about 15 minutes and then a few more minutes for her to come out of the anesthesia. It did freak me out a little to see her so disoriented while the gas was still in her system, but she quickly came out of it. We stayed in recovery for a half hour and Gwen drank 3 full glasses of apple juice since she had not been able to eat or drink since the night before.

When we got home Gwen was very tired and clingy, but otherwise doing well. After a good nap and lunch, she seemed almost as good as new. I've been keeping an eye on her ears today before taking her back to daycare tomorrow. She does have some drainage, but she's not acting like she's in pain like she was during her ear infections. And she lets me put in her ear drops without too much fuss. Overall, she handled everything very well and I'm so grateful. Hopefully this will help to keep her healthier.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad to read that everything went well with Gwen's ears. Poor girl! I hope she keeps feeling better and gets past the ear problems now. I loved all the pictures from Easter (pic of Gwen with her hat in the rocking chair is so cute!), Beau's graduation (go Beau!!) and family day.

Alexis said...

Wow! Such happenings for your family! I enjoyed reading the updates, and we pray for the best for you! Your family pictures look great, and we sure miss you! We are about an hr. north of Fayettville if you need an escape.

Loves!

The Johansens (p.s. I'm due anytime! . . .)

Jenny D. said...

I'm so glad everything went well with Gwen's surgery. I hope that things will only continue to improve for her and you! Way to go Beau!!!! Congratulations to you and Shellie for making it through basic. Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Wow...I had NO idea that Gwen was having such a hard time with her ears! I feel like a terrible aunt! I guess I need to CALL you!! LOL I'll try to give you a call soon, Shel. I'm glad that Gwen is recovering well.

Love you muchly,
~Andi

Patrick and Leigh said...

Shellie,

I'm glad that Gwen's surgery went well-I really hope it alleviates her ear infections!! Those things are miserable. Also, I'm glad that Beau will be home soon! It's hard to be apart that long.

Leigh