Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Graduation info for Beau

I just received a letter about Beau's graduation from Basic Training. Here are the dates:

Thursday, March 20th - Family Day 10am-8:30pm
Friday, March 21st - Graduation 10am
Saturday, March 22nd - Reports to Fort Bragg by 5pm

Thursday, we're allowed to visit him on post at Fort Jackson, SC. The next day is graduation and then he has to be at Fort Bragg by Saturday. If you want to go to graduation, let me know so I can give get you a copy of the gate pass that you'll need to get in. I also have a map and directions, or you can just click on this site for the info: http://www.jackson.army.mil/161/graduation.htm.

Beau's letters are upbeat. He said that they had to do the ropes course the other day and the Drill Sergeant told him that he would probably freak out. "Maybe it was the huge glasses that made me look like a nerd, but I looked at him and said, 'Please, I used to do this for a living, Drill Sergeant' (between firefighting and being a repelling instructor); and he shut up and let me go."

They also started their Combat Lifesaver class. The first class was about airway management and the the Drill Sergeant asked for a volunteer to insert a nasal trumpet into a dummy. "I was happy to oblige since the practice dummy kept challenging everyone to fight him. I was nice as I rammed that tube without hesitation and then the teacher told me that I couldn't answer anymore questions. For the rest of the class she would start a question with, 'Except Person...' ." So I hope that Beau realizes that what he may lack in youth, he makes up for in experience. :)

Gwen and I are doing well. We're getting into a sort of routine, which is a good thing. She seems to be handling everything well, and for that I'm grateful. I'm also grateful for all those who have been willing to help out and those who have called to check on us. I hope you're all doing well. :)

No comments: