Friday, April 11, 2008

Masters and Allergies

One of the many scoreboards


So, it's Master's Week around here. All of the dogwood trees and azaleas are blooming and beautiful. And all of the news on television starts out with the Master's Report. I don't mind, I just wish I could go to the Tournament again sometime. Even if you hate golf, the course is just amazing and worth seeing at least once. And you can't help but get excited about the Tournament when you hear the roar of cheers from another hole. The Practice Rounds are especially fun to attend. These are the days when the players are still relaxed and more likely to interact with the crowd and have fun. This year, ESPN covered the Par 3 Tournament on Wednesday where the golfers' kids were allowed to help caddie.

Golfer Trip Kuehne and his son

When I was a teenager I worked on the course in one of their many food tents. Although the smell from the food tent by the end of the week was definitely memorable, even more memorable were the quiet walks into the gate as I made it to my assignment. I loved the smell of the freshly mowed grass (they mow every morning during the Tournament) and the sound of the birds chirpping before all of the crowds arrived. Because I was assigned to the 13th hole, I was able to enjoy the long winding walk along the paths of azaleas and dogwoods. Ah, memories... Of course once the crowds arrived, I did have to go to work.



For those of you interested in the details of the Tournament, I'm sure you already know that it's being broadcast on ESPN and the Golf Channel. Around here it's on the local stations, too, of course. And here's the online version- there are a lot of great pictures on the site and up to the minute scores. I feel like I'm a sports anchor... oh, well... :)


The Offical Site of the Masters Tournament
http://www.masters.org/en_US/index.html


Now, being able to boast of beautiful dogwoods and azaleas does have it's price. And for me, it's paid in the form of Zyrtec. And apparently, I'm not the only one-

Worst Cities for Allergies This Spring

http://www.fitsugar.com/1541391


"Think your city must fall on the list? Here are the top 25 worst allergy offenders:


1. Lexington, Ky.
2. Greensboro, N.C.
3. Johnson City, Tenn.
4. Augusta, Ga.
5. Jackson, Miss. "


So, there are many reasons to live in Augusta- especially if you love golf or the outdoors. Just remember to bring your Zyrtec.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh Augusta allergies! I've never had worse allergies than when we lived there. I love the time of year though because the blossoms all over the area are gorgeous!